Studies have shown that patients with mild to moderate Parkinson's disease using a treadmill three times per week for 40 minutes under supervision observed significant improvements in lower-extremity tasks, such as walking, balance, agility, and peak oxygen uptake and increasing calorie expenditure5.
Another study found resistance training can increase patients' strength, muscle mass and bone density, and is very beneficial for Parkinson’s6.
The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) has published multiple recommendations for Parkinson's disease exercise, including aerobic and weight-bearing exercise under supervision7.
1. Bilowit D.S. Establishing physical objectives in the rehabilitation of patients with Parkinson’s disease; gymnasium activities. Phys. Ther. Rev. 1956;36(3):176–178. doi: 10.1093/ptj/36.3.176.
2. Goodwin V.A., Richards S.H., Taylor R.S., Taylor A.H., Campbell J.L. The effectiveness of exercise interventions for people with Parkinson’s disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Mov. Disord. 2008;23(5):631–640. doi: 10.1002/mds.21922.
3. Deslandes A., Moraes H., Ferreira C., Veiga H., Silveira H., Mouta R., Pompeu F.A., Coutinho E.S., Laks J. Exercise and mental health: many reasons to move. Neuropsychobiology. 2009;59(4):191–198. doi: 10.1159/000223730.
4. Mehrholz J., Friis R., Kugler J., Twork S., Storch A., Pohl M. Treadmill training for patients with Parkinson’s disease. Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2010;(1):CD007830.
5.Kurtais Y., Kutlay S., Tur B.S., Gok H., Akbostanci C. Does treadmill training improve lower-extremity tasks in Parkinson disease? A randomized controlled trial. Clin. J. Sport Med. 2008;18(3):289–291.
6. Scandalis T.A., Bosak A., Berliner J.C., Helman L.L., Wells M.R. Resistance training and gait function in patients with Parkinson’s disease. Am. J. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2001;80(1):38–43.
8. Oliveira de Carvalho A, Filho ASS, Murillo-Rodriguez E, Rocha NB, Carta MG, Machado S. Physical Exercise For Parkinson's Disease: Clinical And Experimental Evidence. Clin Pract Epidemiol Ment Health. 2018;14:89–98. Published 2018 Mar 30.